Many people love to keep pet as part of the family. However, keeping Fido healthy and happy will cost money. It’s possible to save more than a few bucks without sacrificing the well being of your pet. The cost to raise and maintain pets depend on the species, size and age of the pet. Here are things you should do:
- Make at least annual vet visits: Although your pet is perfectly healthy, you shouldn’t skip the annual vet visits. By having regular checkups you can actually save money. Problematic health conditions can be detected early. They can be treated soon enough and the overall medical costs can be significantly reduced.
- Use preventive treatments: Preventative treatments are very beneficial. Don’t wait until your pet has visible health conditions, such as tick infestations and skin problems. At early stages, parasites and diseases can be treated more easily. Relatively mild parasite infestation like heartworm can be treated easily, but at later stages, it could potentially cause death.
- Ensure good dental hygiene: Poor dental care could cause various health problems. Plaque and tartar could lead to various periodontal diseases. If bacteria accumulate in the gum, dangerous microorganisms could reach kidneys, liver, lungs and heart, which cause serious internal infections. Mild health issues could lead to critical situations and emergencies, if not treated quickly enough.
- Look for affordable food, treats and supplies: Don’t easily get swayed by advertisement of pet supplies. You should be able to find good quality pet supplies at affordable prices, if you research properly enough. Neighbourhood pet shops often sell supplies at higher prices. Look for specialty shops that offer discounts for large volume purchases. You may also consider buy supplies online, especially if you get free shipping deals.
- Look for unusual signs: Healthy pets are bundles of joy. So, if your pets seem to behave unusually, you should check for possible health issues. When grooming your pet, check its body carefully and look for any kind of suspicious signs. Check for warts or lumps that could indicate potential problems. Ticks and fleas can be detected quite easily and you may use magnification glass to see whether the skin condition of your pet is acceptable. If your pets are reluctant to walk or walk limply, there could be potential issues, like arthritis or muscle injuries.
- Keep your pet active: Your pet can be kept at healthy condition and good shape, if it stays active. You can make pet to accompany you during regular exercise session. Dogs and cats particularly need physical activities. You can make your dogs to run in the park and cats can be made stay active indoors. Dogs will be glad to catch Frisbees and cats will be eager to play with a fluffy ball of wool thread. If pets stay active, their behaviour, mood, digestion and immunity situations can be enhanced. If your pet doesn’t move enough, it will be less active and various health problems may occur. Keep your body and your pet healthy at the same time.